Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Borderlands - Closure

I've been working on an electronica project since last Wednesday, and so far the process has been really rewarding as a musician, a writer, and a person in general.

The start of this project came about kind of suddenly when I had the urge to write music I could sleep to. Bands like The Postal Service, Moby, and Frou Frou have always been some of my favorites to relax and snooze to. That and the fact electronica music doesn't take a lot of involvement from outside sources was the main motivation for starting this project. As always, I recruited my good friend Jordan Hughes to join me in creating what we hope will be really enjoyable music. Now that we're pretty far into the project, I can pretty much say it won't be that great to listen to while sleeping, but I do hope it'll be fun and maybe even rewarding in some instances for people to just listen to.

We went pretty minimalistic electronica with the instrumentation as to not distract from the basic melodies and the vocals/lyrics. The album will have 8 songs that unfold into somewhat of a story. I wrote and I'm finishing writing this album around a certain relationship I went through with a girl I used to be close with. I guess you could say that this music is an attempt at reconciling that relationship. Some might say that it's an unoriginal or girly idea, but I'm hoping they find that these emotions and stories to be authentic and can accept these songs for what they are. Perhaps you can't relate to falling in love, but maybe you can relate to be alone or rejected? I don't know. You'll have to decide for yourself.

The first track opens up as a preface and an apology. The rest of the tracks are suppose to be representative of the various stages of relationship, the first stage being the day I saw her, next is falling in love, then the darker stages of the relationship, and finally (hopefully) ending with closure. Regardless of the results, I feel like it's something I need to write to end the bitterness I've held inside. I've swallowed a lot of pride when writing these songs, and I hope that it shows. Sometimes it's hard to see that you are the problem and the one who is wrecking things, and that is something that took me a while to realize. Through these songs I've learned a lot about myself and how I've grown through the years. I still don't consider myself a man, but I feel like I'm getting a little bit closer to that day. Until then, I'll just be dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment